generated by sloganizer.net

6.26.2008

i just might get myself fired yet...

so, i know that talking about work is a huge no-no but...

the restaurant. the dreaded, most complained about restaurant ever...continues to be the bane of my existence. However, i have to say, after sunday, i hold my head a little higher. a few weeks ago, after they hired a girl who had three facial percings, management decided to make it a rule that the facial piercings/rings/studs had to be covered or taken out. This said waitress quit because she wasn't going to take them out nor was she going to serve food with bandaids all over her face. however, even though she quit, myself and two other servers, who have piercings, had to wear bandaids. i have to say, i was so livid that i wore it just because i couldn't come up with the words to yell at my boss. and of course, that particular morning, cute guys kept being sat in my section...oh the irony, and sadness. i had come in that morning, completely caught off guard because i have been working there for a year and a half and other than the first time the old owners saw my nose piercing, they said i had to cover it, but i didnt' and they never said another word. the new owners have never dared say anything before. i was so surprised and mad i didn't know what to do. however, this past sunday (which is about 5 shifts after the first time they said to put a bandaid on , which really is rediculous b/c if you're going to make a rule, at least be consistent...but that's another of the Many issues i have with this place). anyways...i walked in and started getting ready for my shift and the hostess came over and told me i had to put on another bandaid or take my stud out, which, frankly isn't going to happen. it hurts like hell. so i said i don't have a bandaid and walked away. a few minutes later, she calls me over and holds up this bandaid which would probably cover a knife wound. i looked at her and laughed. i said "I'm NOT putting that on my face". she replies..."well, you have to cover your nose stud and this is all we have'. i looked at her again and i said "i'm NOT putting that on my face". and i walked away to keep SERVING MY TABLES. seeing as that's actually important for my job. i know the hostess is getting pissed because she's just the unfortunate messenger of my boss who isn't there, but still wants to have his rules followed. and yes, it was easier to say no to her, than to him, but with the presenting problem, i wasn't going to budge. i realized that i'd be sent home for not following the rules, and i was thinking this just might be the kick in the ass i need to really get out of this place. i've applied to a few other places and could potentially find another job if i had the time on the weekends not spent actually working at this job. i ignored the hostess for a while and kept serving my tables. a while later she called me over again and gave me a small bandaid. i took it and walked away, but knew i'd rather quit than give in and look like an idiot over something soo stupid. She came to the back a few minutes later to tell me to put on the bandaid. i told her again that i wasn't going to do it. she said, well you have to because ___told you you have to. i said i'm not putting it on, and if that meant i'd be sent home, then i would go home. she said ok, then you have to go home. i said fine. the other two servers with piercings were listening to all of this. one girl could take hers out, but the other woman didn't want to either. and she decided that 'we servers need to stick together, and if you leave, reshae, then i'll walk right out with you'. i told her i don't care what she does, but i'm not putting on the bandaid. a few minutes later the server that was going to 'go down with me' came in the back and said that i don't have to go home, but that ____is coming later and to talk to him when he gets here. i knew it. i was calling his bluff. and it felt great!! and not to sound cocky, but he gets nothing but positives about me from the customers, he's commented on how hard i work and i never take smoke breakes...blah blah blah. he's not going to fire me, or send me home. so he comes in later, and as things slow down in the restaurant after the lunch rush, he calls me over and starts going on about how it's nothing against the piercings, but it all has to do with health codes. i gave him my shpeal about how it's more unsanitary if bandaids are falling into the food...blah blah, and i get compliments all the time on the nose stud and it's actually bad for business if we look rediculous with bandaids all over our faces, reminding him that it's not state law to have them covered and so i wasn't going to do it. he backed down and said that he'd look into it more and double check the rules. hahahahahahahahaha. so, i completely stood up to him and didn't get sent hom. but i did go apply to another restaurant on my way home that day. i have to follow up yet. and the funny thing is, everyone else was like...wowww, i can't believe you did that...lol. it's not very characteristic of me, at all, to stand up to my authorities like that, but i had had enough...

1 Comments:

Blogger akv2 said...

Nice work sis. I'm proud of you!

And health codes, my ass. I see people with piercings serving food all the time.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home