generated by sloganizer.net

6.01.2008

i should be napping...or at a softball game. i'm not.

so. i can not even begin to describe the craziness that was yesterday...move day. but i'll give it my best shot...

i woke up early (7:23am) because i couldn't sleep anymore for stress and decided to head to my new apartment to check it out as it's been 6 weeks since i saw it, for the first time and for only 15 seconds. my memory was a little poor and i needed a refresher. i also decided to pick up coffee and breakfast for me and my bro while he was sleeping. Sadly, i was very disheartened by what i found as my new home...as it was smaller and less nice than i had remembered it. nasty yellow dirty walls, kitchen cabinets that are metal and fit in with the blasted 1960s and someone was parked in my new parking spot. needless to say, i needed a few minutes to regroup, wipe away a few stray tears and accept that this is where i'm living, like it or not, cause i'm not planning on breaking my lease. Bro did a great job of assuring me that everything would be ok...:)

we decided to pack the car and head to the new place to clean it so i'd feel better about moving my things in. and amazingly enough, Lysol-ing the finger prints from the last tenant away and sweeping up all nastiness really did help. we discussed different colors i can paint the place to help it not look and feel really, well, not what i want it to be...we ate lunch at Chipotle and headed to U-haul for the truck. by 3:07pm we had arrived back at the old apartment, with an old friend and a pile of new ones to help me move all of my belongings. within an hour we were done packing the truck and were headed to the new place.

Now, let me clarify a few things...my old couch was Disgusting and i had decided to purchase another one from IKEA (which my friend B helped pick out last weekend)(yes i had her take a pic with me at IKEA...it was an exciting shopping trip!!)

while she was here for the weekend because Avenue Q is in townand it was great...though i digress...

also, i'm cheap/poor and didn't want to pay $80 to have my new couch delivered and had decided that i'd use my moving U-haul to pick it up...new apartment, new couch...perfect.
what complicated this, of course, was that U-haul told me that the truck had to be back at the lot by 8pm at the latest. and IKEA is in the burbs, so i had to try to fit moving all my shit to a new apartment, up three flights of stairs, and then go all the way out of the city and back before dropping it off nicely on time at 8pm. as one can imagine, i soon realized that this was going to be like trying to fit a circle into a square...it's impossible. by 5:45pm we had the new apartment filled with boxes and all my stuff, and my wonderful friends were enjoying pizza and beer. we decided to try to beat time and get my couch, including dropping my old one off at a Salvation Army Drop-off Donation center. by 6:30pm we were on our way to IKEA having donated my old couch (though they might even throw it in the garbage cause it's that nasty!!) traffic made an already long trip even longer, and by 7:20pm we were off the highway and on our way to the store, only to realize that i wasn't sure how to get there...and got lost. another friend was amazing at telling me over the phone while i drove how to get back on track. we spent no more than 5 minutes in IKEA rushing to pay and put the new couch in the truck and we were headed back to the city...by about 7:50pm. by 8:15 i called U-haul to let them know we were on our way, apologizing for being late and blaming my tardiness on the traffic, even though we still head to my apartment to drop off the couch before we could get the truck back to U-haul.

The woman on the other end of the line was the same woman that told me two times that the truck HAD TO BE BACK BY 8PM. she explained that becauese it was the end of the month, it was policy that all equipment had to be back at the store before she could leave. I had told her that i've been able to leave keys in a drop slot multiple times before without any problems. She told me that i had to have the truck back by 8pm anyways. This same woman answered the phone when i called to apologize for being late. She calmly stated that it was fine, and to not worry..."You can just put your keys in the drop slot". I nearly coughed and started laughing in shock and awe and exhaustion and anger at what she had put me through all...Freaking...day trying to get that Damn truck back by 8pm. i was a nightmare. i said thankyou, and hung up the phone, prompting pulling into a target parkinglot to tell my brother that we could relax and chill the F out already.

We went back to the apartment, brought the couch upstairs to my apartment and brought the truck back...by 11pm...just because we could. we got home, ate some food, took showers, made our beds and finally got to sleep. it was Insane.
this is the view from walking into the apartment...it's a studio but has an eat in kitchen and an actual kitchen instead of a closet with a stove. i didn't want to post pics yet because it doesn't look anything like it will once everything is away, pics are on the wall and, for that matter, the walls are painted...but first things first...unpacking...

the bed is on the right kind of behind that chair and the eating area/kitchen goes around the corner in the back by the far windows. there's a closet and bathroom to the left of the picture...near where my brother is standing by the tv cabinet...new pics will come soon enough.

oh...so today, bro and i went for breakfast and headed back to the old apartment. i had been paranoid that my car would be towed because i parked in someone elses's spot due to the SUV that was still in my spot by the time we returned home from U-haul after midnight.This morning i left a nice note on his/her windshield that politely stated that "As of June 1, this parking spot belongs to my Toyota Yaris. Please find alternate parking ASAP". when i came back after cleaning my old apartment, the car was gone. Perfect!

so. my bro left, and i have an apartment of things that need to be organized and put somewhere other than where it can currently be found. but i'm so damn tired, i didn't even go to play softball today..and i LOVE softball. i just couldn't. instead i wrote this post, and will shortly be taking a nap. on my new couch.

earlier when writing this post, i noticed that Brayson had walked into the bathroom but hadn't come out. i went to find him on which i figured was the carpet b/c he always slept on that in my old place. This is what i found. please disregard my rediculous baby talking to him...i didn't realize i was that pathetic!! don't disregard the music you hear in the background...it's The Frightened Rabbit, and i saw them with bro and his friends Thursday night. they're great!! perhaps even my new favorite band...;)


he's been in and out of there three times since that video...

2 Comments:

Blogger bexala said...

Your place looks super cute! And, give Brayson a pet for me...I miss his sweet face.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is hilarious. so is the fact that the salvation army chucked your couch. you called it:) love you:)

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home